Design & Construction Considerations
City staff recognized construction of the Sound to Olympic Trail would be a challenging project to retain existing vegetation due to the required width of the trail, the steep slopes and required grading, and the relatively narrow right-of-way area. Many of these requirements were necessary for the trail to be accessible to residents with all types of mobility considerations.
To balance the needs of the trail, the desire to have a trail that was accessible to all, and the desire to retain as many trees as possible, the City pursued the following additional efforts beyond normal project requirements:
- The City commissioned additional tree survey to identify all trees over eight inches dbh on the project site.
- The design incorporates several walls to retain slopes for tree retention.
- Before demolition began, City staff walked the entire project with the contractor to identify trees on the margins of the project that could be retained.
- Landscape plan removes existing invasive plants and includes planting almost 300 trees as well as native shrubs and groundcovers.
In 2014, the City received notification of being awarded $1,946,250 in grant money from the federal government to construct the Sound to Olympic Trail segment from Winslow Way to High School Road. As a condition of the award the City was required to match the grant funding with $303,750 of City funds.
- STO Construction Drawings - October 2016
- STO Preferred Option November 13, 2014 (PDF)
- Three Preliminary Design Options October 29, 2014 (PDF)
- STO Regional Context (PDF)
- NM Kitsap Regional Routes (PDF)
- COBI Connectivity (PDF)
- Project Approach (PDF)
- GIS Composite (PDF)
- Photo Reference (PDF)
- Photos (PDF)
Select "Notify Me" to subscribe to project notifications.
The City of Bainbridge Island fully complies with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and related statues in all programs and activities. Those requiring disability accommodations, please contact the City Clerk at 206-842-2545 or email the City Clerk.
Mon, Mar. 4Civil Service Commission Special Meeting-CancelledRead On
Mon, Mar. 4Design Review Board Regular MeetingRead On
Thu, Mar. 7Historic Preservation Commission MeetingRead On