How do I apply for or renew a City Endorsement on my State Business License?

Apply for or renew your City Business Endorsement via        WA-DOR Business Licensing Service


In 2018 the City contracted with the State of Washington Business Licensing Service (BLS) to handle the City's business licensing. This gives businesses a "one-stop shopping" portal for obtaining city endorsements throughout the State. The City continues to oversee and regulate business licensing endorsements according to City Code. The City has responsibility for the approval, and denial, of business license endorsements.

If your business is located off the island (non-resident), your business license endorsement will be granted automatically unless the business applies for a fee-exempt endorsement. If a non-resident business applies for a fee-exempt business endorsement, the City will contact you to determine if the business meets qualifications for fee exemption. 

If your business is located on the island, your application will be reviewed by the City for compliance with legal, zoning, and signage requirements. More than likely, business owners will be contacted by the City to provide additional information pertaining to the required City code and zoning compliance review either by (a) email or (b) phone. If the application is approved, a City endorsement will appear on your Washington State Business License. The approval process could take up to four weeks, or longer if compliance questions arise.

Important note: The City will attempt to contact the business twice to secure the additional information.  After the second attempt, the application will be terminated for failure to provide required information. Failure to provide valid contact information (i.e., phone number and/or email) will result in an automatic denial of the application. 

Additional Information or Permissions

Certain businesses require additional information or permissions. It is the responsibility of the business owner or primary agent to provide the additional information and/or secure any and all approvals required by the City, County, and State. Common businesses requiring additional information or permissions include but are not limited to:

  • Establishments selling or serving alcohol.
  • Cannabis Growing, Processing, and/or Retail Establishments.
  • Commercial Parking Lots.
  • Vineyards, breweries, and distilleries.
  • Mobile Retail Food Establishments (PDF) (i.e., food trucks) or other mobile businesses.
  • Operation of one or more of the following:
    • Cabarets
    • Games of skill (i.e., video games)
    • Amusement games (e.g., billiard tables, pool tables, foosball tables, etc.)
    • Jukeboxes
    • Veterinary clinics or animal boarding facilities
  • Short-Term Vacation Rentals (PDF) (including Airbnb or VRBO on line platforms). (PDF)
  • Long-term rentals.

Show All Answers

1. Who needs a City Endorsement on their State Business License?
2. How do I apply for or renew a City Endorsement on my State Business License?
3. Do I need a State of Washington Business License to obtain a City Endorsement?
4. How much does a City Endorsement on my State Business License cost?
5. Where do I post my Washington State Business License that includes my City of Bainbridge Island endorsement?
6. How do I renew my City Business License Endorsement?
7. Are there City Business and Occupation Taxes?
8. What if my business moves to a new location and/or the mailing address changes?
9. How do I cancel or close my State Business License with a City Endorsement?
10. What if I sell my business?