What if I disagree with the decision of the Public Records Officer?

If you are notified that the record you requested cannot be disclosed or that the record you received has been redacted and you disagree with the decision, you may seek review of the decision. GR 31.1(d). There are two separate review processes to follow, internal and the external review.

  1. Internal review within the court. Your case will be reviewed by the Presiding Judge of the Bainbridge Island Municipal Court. The form to submit is called Appeal Rights and Request for Internal Review. The appeal form must be submitted within 90 days of the PRO decision. The review proceeding is informal and summary. In most situations, the review proceeding shall be held within five working days of the request.
  2. External review. A record requestor who disagrees with the court internal review decision may obtain further review by asking for an external review of the court's internal decision. Request for such review must made within 30 days of the internal review decision of the Presiding Judge. The requestor may choose between the two alternative external reviews:
    1. Review via civil action in Kitsap County Superior Court; or
    2. Informal review by a visiting judge or other outside decision maker.

Show All Answers

1. Does the Public Records Act apply to the Judicial Branch?
2. What is the purpose of Rule GR 31.1?
3. What judicial administrative records in Washington State are available to the public?
4. Why are some records not available to the public?
5. If a record is available to the public, why may portions of the record be blocked out (redacted)?
6. How long are administrative public records kept?
7. How do I request a record?
8. What is the Municipal Court's process for responding to the request?
9. What if I disagree with the decision of the Public Records Officer?
10. Can I view public administrative records in-person?
11. How can I get paper copies of records?
12. What is the cost of obtaining or viewing administrative records?
13. Does the public records officer keep track of requests for administrative public records?
14. Is the court responsible for what happens when other people use information they received from an administrative public record?