Earn extra income and help your community by applying for a temporary part-time job knocking on doors of those who have not completed the 2020 census.
Census takers in Kitsap County earn $18-20 per hour (hourly pay increases after 6 p.m. and on Sunday) and pick the hours and days that they work. Census takers also receive reimbursement for work-related mileage and expenses, where applicable.
“We are the last line of defense when it comes to getting everybody counted,” said Recruiting Assistant Ulysses Galvez.
The U.S. Constitution mandates a census of the population every 10 years. Census statistics help determine the number of seats each state holds in the U.S. House of Representatives and how billions of dollars in federal funds are allocated to state and local communities for the next 10 years (e.g., roads and infrastructure, school lunches, homeless programs, etc.).
Candidates must complete an online job application, which includes assessment questions about your education, work and other experience. Every applicant selected for a job goes through an independent background check. Apply here.
Between March 12 and March 20, invitations to participate in the 2020 Census will start arriving in your mailbox. Learn more here.
Below is a timeline of how and when the U.S. Census Bureau will invite households to complete the 2020 Census questionnaire.
- March 12-20: Initial invitations to respond online and by phone delivered by the U.S. Postal Service.
- March 16-24: Reminder letters delivered. Census opens to responses March 16.
- March 26-April 3: Reminder postcards delivered to households that have not responded.
- April 8-16: Reminder letters and paper questionnaires delivered to remaining households that have not responded.
- April 20-27: Final reminder postcards delivered to households that have not yet responded before census takers follow up in person.
- May 13-July 31: Census takers follow up in person at households that have not responded.
For more information about the 2020 Census, contact Kitsap County 2020 Complete County Census Coordinator Leslie Daugs at 360-440-1961 or by email at email@example.com. You can also visit kitsap2020census.com.