

---

---

THE RACE EQUITY TASK FORCE WILL HOLD THIS MEETING USING  
A VIRTUAL, ZOOM WEBINAR, PER GOVERNOR INSLEE'S  
"STAY HOME, STAY HEALTHY" ORDERS

PLEASE CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO JOIN THE WEBINAR:

[HTTPS://BAINBRIDGEWA.ZOOM.US/J/91017266119](https://bainbridgewa.zoom.us/j/91017266119)

TELEPHONE: 1 253 215 8782

WEBINAR ID: 910 1726 6119

#### AGENDA

1. CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL/ACCEPT OR MODIFY FEBRUARY 3, 2022 MEETING MINUTES/ CONFLICT OF INTEREST DISCLOSURE/CODE OF CONDUCT  
6:00 PM
2. SUQUAMISH ANCESTRAL LANDS ACKNOWLEDGMENT
3. PUBLIC COMMENT – 10 MINUTES
4. ISLAND PARENTS CONCERNED ABOUT OPPOSITION TO BISD DISTRICT IMPROVEMENT PLAN FOR EQUITY, ANTI-RACISM, INCLUSION, DIVERSITY AND JUSTICE – 20 MINUTES
5. SUBCOMMITTEE PROGRESS – 20 MINUTES
  - A. LAW AND POLICY
  - B. EVENTS AND OUTREACH
  - C. TRAINING AND GARE
  - D. STRATEGIC PLAN
  - E. CLIMATE CHANGE EQUITY LENS
  - F. FINANCE
6. RECOMMENDATION FOR CITY RACE EQUITY PLAN – 15 MINUTES
7. CITY COUNCIL MEETING REPORT – 10 MINUTES
8. FOLLOW-UP ON REAC ITEMS – 5 MINUTES
  - STATUS OF CANDIDATES FOR POSITION 4
9. GOOD OF THE ORDER – 10 MINUTES
10. ADJOURNMENT

#### Scope of Work

1. Develop a series of events through the end of the year designed to promote awareness and raise the community's level of engagement around race and to encourage a dialogue between Bainbridge Islanders and its elected officials on this topic.
2. Advisory Committee will invite the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE) and the People's Institute Northwest to first come and meet with the task force and then we will have a study session discussion.
3. Advisory Committee to provide a series of recommendations to City Council on ways in which the City can help the community become a more inclusive and responsive community when it comes to addressing racial inequities.

## MINUTES

REAC Regular Meeting: February 3, 2022

### CALL TO ORDER

Present: REAC members Deanna Martinez, Eric Stahl, Jing Fong, Peggi Erickson, Renni Bispham, Savanna Rovelstad. Liaison Clarence Moriwaki.

Excused: James Friday, Sue Wilmot, Brenda Fantroy-Johnson

Minutes and agenda were approved.

Conflict of Interest no conflict of interest was submitted

### Public Comment

Jessica Guidry, Kitsap Public Health District equity program manager informed REAC that its board passed a resolution declaring racism as a public health crisis. Jessica is happy to give REAC an overview and an update on the health district's progress.

Cindy Anderson said that she sent REAC a copy of a claim that was filed by a citizens group related to the Harrison hospital facility. The group is asking that the city rescind the purchase. She thought REAC would be interested in following this.

### Subcommittee Progress

#### Law and Policy

- The committee looked at the process for filling REAC vacancy.
- REAC would develop criteria that would have objective skills that we want
- REAC would also want to include a process that talks about how you move from the posting, to what REAC is looking for, to applying, to how we figure out who would get invited for an interview.
- Interviews and questions for REAC need to be consistent for each applicant or candidate.
- Make sure REAC application form doesn't have any barriers to it.
- We do want to be sensitive to timeliness.
- Working on a way to set up a process that would be fair, equitable
- Reach out to diverse communities and not "fish in the same ponds"
- Need panel that decides and fills REAC vacant position to decide who is running search and who is pushing it forward.
- Prior applicants will be contacted by Roz about open REAC position

Renni:

I asked Blair who is supposed to be running a search for the REAC vacancy, and per Blair, it is the chair and the liaisons that are running the search.

Then there was also an issue with regard to people who had applied in the prior posting that didn't make it and whether or not we were going to call them, because that seems to be what I would call or term a "past practice"

We're going to be consistent with what we do, and the question is who's going to make that clear?

Those are the questions that we have, and I'm hoping that we can get some answers tonight to inform our development of what the process for filling vacancies will look like in the future.

Clarence, I know you just got on, but do you know if you on the same page with Blair and Brenda with regard to who's running the search and you know who's pushing it forward?

Clarence: I don't know. Of course, it should be, but members too. You're in a community. Find folks that you think are leaders. That would be a really nice resource as well. That would probably bring more weight to it as well if it was someone that you knew and recruited.

Renni: That certainly goes to the advertising piece right. If we all know people and encourage people to apply, but you know, the fact that we're months down the road here speaks to somebody needs to be in charge of it and moving it forward, and per Blair that's chair and liaison. Maybe James, you and Brenda can figure out. You know who's going to take the football run with it.

Clarence: I think what Blair is getting at is that anybody can apply, and you folks can reach out to people, but that person, or that name has to be forwarded because all of you shouldn't be just sending names in, I think it's a funnel point. The chair and or council liaison would then be taking whatever recommendations, you have or things you might get from people outside the community. And then we would forward that. I don't think he's reading that we're the only two people that could go look for people.

Renni: The recommendation that I'm giving is let's pinpoint somebody. Everybody's part of it, but somebody's got to have the football.

You don't have to do it tonight. Brenda is not here. James is not here. You guys need to figure out who is taking the football and then run with it and say let's get this done.

Savanna: So last time we did we did the same thing Brenda, and I, James and Rasham, we all got together. We go over the applications. We pick people that we'd like to interview. We bring them in. We find a day that works for liaisons and for us, and then we go through the process.

Deanna: Can you tell me what do you all base your decision making on? How do you decide what are the qualifications? How do you all decide what that process look like?

I've only had the experience of it being brought to REAC and being told this is our next member.

Savanna: We get together and there's interview questions, the questions that are on the application. We review those. We talk with folks. I think there was nine applicants last time and we went through and we kind of looked at

whether or not they lived on the island. How long they've been here, what do they do, what are they interested in.

Deanna: How do you gauge what is a good answer and what is a better answer? Savanna, you don't have to answer the question. I'm asking you the question right now, but I'm asking it more for us to think about what are those things? What are those qualities?

Savanna: When I looked at the application for Jing I said Jing has lived here for this many years, look at all the things she's been involved in. Does she feel like she can commit the time? That's always one of the big questions that we have to ask everybody is can you commit to this time because some people are like "oh no I cannot." I think the rest of it was talking to Jing, seeing what she really felt like she could contribute and then James, Brenda, Rasham and I would talk about what we felt was the best fit and sometimes we didn't agree and sometimes we did agree. I think the same process will happen again.

I'm waiting to hear back from James before I can set up a meeting.

Deanna: Do you have a number system, or do you have like a more democratic, like two of the three or?

Savanna: I don't recall how James made his decision. That would be something to ask him and hopefully we can get him back to one of these meetings quite soon.

Renni: Sorry, let me just jump in and say this. Interviewing people for jobs is part of what I do for a living. I'm either helping panels figure out how they're going to interview people and decide who's the best fit for whatever the need is, and I can tell you that, unless it's something you do for living. It's not something that's going to just occur to everybody to do it this way. Interviewing in a public entity is different than interviewing in a private entity. One of our goals as Law and Policy is to help us develop the process that will ensure that. We identify what we're really looking for. We figure out ways to I'll say, somewhat objectively, because you can't ever remove every last subjective piece to this puzzle but will help figure out ways to evaluate what we're looking for and try to make it so that each candidate or applicant then gets, in essence, the same process all the way through.

For now, as you get ready to do this one I'm more than happy to sit with the committee and the ones in charge of doing this, liaisons and chairs, and work through some, I'll just call it "rudimentary ways" because we're not going to have this all developed and nicely formatted before we need to get somebody on here. I'm happy to do that, and I think the process that we want to develop going forward is going to have a lot of those elements that Deanna you were just asking about. So, we are confident that if anybody asks us "how come I didn't get on?", you can say well here's why and so we just wanted to ask these questions, so we knew who was in charge, what your next steps are.

Then the last question is, who is going to call the prior applicants, and I don't know that we need to decide that right this second. I think that might be a conversation for the group that's responsible for doing it, but if there are comments about that right now feel free to jump in. We just wanted to raise question and see if there were any concerns or thoughts or ideas about

calling the folks who applied previously, since apparently that's what we have done in the past as a "past practice."

Peggi: I do think that we should call the former applicants, because the last I heard we just had two new applicants and there may have been more that came in the last couple weeks, but we just we don't have that many, and I do think that if people have applied before they may be thinking "Oh, I already applied so they'll have my application."  
And just as a side note the Bremerton REAC invited their candidates to their meeting. They asked them all the same questions. It was in a public meeting so that's the way they handled the interviews.

Jing : I just wanted to add as a side note that what's happening right now is really consistent with the other things that we've been doing in terms of people wanting to speak in front of REAC. Having a process that's really clear and consistent makes this committee, not only more credible, but more accessible as well. I think it's important work. It's not always the fun stuff to do, but it sure makes us more consistent, equitable, fair and we get to be in touch with more people.

### Events and Outreach

- REAC will try to sponsor an in-person event, Sunday February 27, *Since I've Been Down*, a film about incarceration in Washington state with an option to view virtually as well.
- There will be a REAC sponsored march from BIMA to the theatre.
- There will be a panel discussion after the movie with Gilda Shepherd and Tara Simmons
- Confirming theatre to be used for *Since I've Been Down* event.
- *Since I've Been Down* event will be about 2 hours and still require proof of vaccine.
- REAC will acquire a sidewalk march permit from COBI police.

Peggi: I had a meeting with Blair the other day and he said that they would talk to Jeff about that day and stuff, but I haven't gotten back to him. That's the only thing that I'm waiting to make the actual movie request to make sure that the theater is available. I was also going to call James because I don't know if he's maybe talked to Jeff as well, but according to Blair, the theater is very open to that and so as long as they don't need the theater at that time, they're fine with it. They gave it to us for free last time. I thought they had the city had paid.

Jing: Okay, and just some feedback. The last time, and I can't remember exactly who's march it was, but there was some criticism of the route that people took from the highway through town. That it posts some traffic problems, and some concern for pedestrians. If there are alternate routes or beginning points that would still command attention, but with safety and consideration in mind, that would be just something to think about. I just heard some grumblings so I'm just throwing it out

Peggi: We're planning to start at BIMA. We are planning to go down Winslow Way because we don't want to take the back roads. We do want people to see the signs, see the crowd and become more aware of Black history, anti-racism and stuff like that.

I know that a lot of the stores and stuff have supported us and handed out water, waved and came out but I think your point is good. Maybe we can post some signs along the right side of Winslow Way saying a march is taking place here at 11 o'clock. The march will be about 11 so, pedestrians at least see that. Hopefully nobody's going to get knocked down or I haven't seen anything like that happen. The march was kind of James's brainchild. I know he's very enthusiastic about it.

Deanna: I just wanted to say how much I appreciate that you'll have access in a couple different ways, and that you're working on that. I think it's important. It models that people with disabilities are more than just data points. I think it sends a message when we do things like this that we're modeling that we actually care about those communities. We care about those numbers, and we care about those people staying with us, so I just want to say thank you.

#### Training and GARE

- GARE 2022 conference in Portland happening soon and decisions to be made about who is going physically and who will be going virtually
- Peggi will speak with Christine Brown and let rest of REAC know how to proceed
- Unsure what cost will be covered by city (lodging, registration)
- Regardless of in person or virtual everyone should attend when they can. Recordings are available online with registration
- Established the BI REAC would be unable to secure a group registration with Bremerton REAC due to the formality of BI REAC. Speak with Airen to see if Bremerton will pay for Bremerton REAC to attend GARE 2022 conference

Clarence: There isn't even really an official travel policy for the Council. I mean that's just being put together as a draft right now.

That could be the model for advisory committees, but the City Council itself does not have an official travel policy. I'm not sure what the policy is going to be for advisory committees. We don't have one. We don't have a travel policy. Waiting to see what we do.

Jing: I was just curious how many folks we're at in terms of who is thinking about going in person and who is thinking of doing virtual. I think it would be nice for us to decide. To have at least a couple people go in person, if they're available and interested in doing that. Just a thought. I mean an in-person experience, if you can do that, is also an opportunity to interact.

Peggi: Yes, I think you know the problem is, personally for myself, I'm thinking I'm going to be looking at the Omicron numbers. Going to be looking at where we are with a pandemic as to

whether I would feel safe to go down. I'm waiting for the drop to happen before I venture out. Does anybody else feel like they really want to go in person?

Renni: I'm thinking about going in person. Working at UW we get fairly good frequent updates about Omicron and it has started to drop. I would anticipate that by April it will start to drop. At UW everybody had to do a daily at a station that you don't have symptoms and that's gone as of today. So, it's starting to drop. We had bans on traveling, couldn't travel. That's gone. I'm anticipating that I'm going to go, and it'll be great. I'm hoping that others here decide to go because it really is a great experience. Frankly it's a bonding experience to be able to do it. It would make us that much better and that much more efficient. I'm hoping that I could go in person and I'm hoping that other people will also really consider. I don't think it's going to be unsafe.

Deanna: I will be opting to do it virtually as well. I hear what you're saying Renni. I also know that I have a lot of immune compromised folks that are vaccinated but are on immunosuppressant meds. So, because of my love for those people, I will be going virtual thanks.

Clarence: You may know, but I did have it. I'm totally boosted, and I had the Omicron last month. I masked, I used N95s I don't know how it happened. It's there, so caution is good.

Peggi: Okay, well, I think that we should make our decisions and get registered this month because, already we missed the early bird, but I think registration is still open for the event. When you get my email saying, either give me your name and I'll take them all to Kate, or just email Kate directly and maybe CC me. I'll let you know how to get registered and then. I think we won't be able to take advantage, probably of a group of 10. That might just be for the in person. That's another thing I'm not quite clear on. I'll get clear and put that in my email.

Savanna: I know that I cannot attend in person. I don't even know if I can attend virtually. That's as somebody who has a set amount of paid time off and if I have to have a surgery later this year, I cannot take those days off. I will try my hardest. I will register in case I can attend.

Peggi: you know if they record those workshops Savanna, you can just watch them in your own time over the next month or something. For your own education.

Eric: I'm probably going to be able to attend part of it virtually, but I haven't really looked at my schedule yet.

Jing: I'm leaning toward in person, but I have to check some calendar dates to be certain that I can do that.

Peggi: I think I would like to go in person, if it seems reasonable. Hopefully in a week or two, I will be able to make that decision. I'd like to also encourage the Council to sign up. So, Clarence, I can't remember if I copied the Council on the email about the conference. I think I did. Maybe

you could carry it to them, that a bigger conference is happening, and that they should either go or go virtually to it, as a training opportunity.

### Strategic Plan

- Reviewing a draft of essential listening sessions in order to put together Strategic plan and Work plan
- Would like input from all of REAC on what some essential questions would be to ask community. What would be important and give insight?
- Which organizations or individuals would be especially important to hear from?

Jing: It was beneficial to listen to the Bremerton REAC who had already done some listening sessions. Aaron had posted some slides of the four questions that they asked for comparison purposes. I have an email to him, so that we can have not only a copy of the slides and the patterns, but also just some conversation time.

That would help our work. We already know who Council and city staff are but who in the community, which groups, which individuals, would be important to hear from? Then also the community at large, always important. If I could get some input on that. You can post a note in notebook, but I would just for the next few minutes love to get your input.

Peggi: So, the question is what questions should we be asking people to gather input for our group to figure out what they think we should be doing about equity on Bainbridge?

Jing: Right. We did have some questions. I mean it could even be what is your experience with racism on Bainbridge Island or if there was something you could change about Bainbridge Island when it comes to race what might that be? We're just trying to gauge where people are at, but also what they think we could do. So, if there are any questions or insights that would be terrific or if there's a "you got to talk to so and so" that would be appreciated as well.

### Climate Change Equity Lens

- REAC has given consistent language to CCAC via email for equity question on CCAC tool

Peggi: I have a question for you guys, and you may or may not know. I know that Lara met with us to talk about some race equity lens questions that they were putting in their climate lens document, but have they applied that to their plan? Those equity questions to the plan that they created and sent to the city?

Deanna: The email that I just talked about has to do with one question. All the questions that we came up with, they felt were good questions, but they had their tool. I'm not sure. My hunch or my guess would be it's similar to a lot of other processes that we're talking about and looking at. I think probably that they are in that place of moving forward with these ideas, but also wanting to have at least one question in that tool that applies to equity.

Finance Nothing to report



## Recommendation For City Race Equity Plan

Peggi : This is strictly a draft. If you have any feedback, you can send it to me. You do have a copy in your email. The City of Bainbridge Island Race Equity Advisory Committee (REAC) acknowledges that the City of Bainbridge Island is at the beginning of their equity journey. The city has taken many positive steps in support of race equity the past few years. All these steps show the city has solid start to creating a more equitable island. REAC would like to recommend that the city take the next steps on their equity journey and have created this resolution to lay out what we believe those next steps are. REAC believes that equity is everyone's job, no matter what the person's role may be. Whether it's being a council member, city manager A COBI staff member or a member of any of the many COBI committees, to everyone's job to make sure that the policies, procedures, recommendations and regulations that the city of Bainbridge Island produces, do not harm communities of color on Bainbridge Island. Beyond preventing harm, the COBI REAC believes that it's also everyone's job to increase equity in all areas of city government including procurement, representation, land use and planning, regulation, policing, community engagement and other areas.

Moving race equity forward in COBI city government means committing to equity. Undertaking training and education in equity.

Creating and executing equity goals, proactively using an equity lens when considering the creation of policies, procedures, recommendations and regulations and monitoring progress of the current situation.

To date, city Bainbridge Island has undertaken some equity training with a consultant, but that training is not extended to the Council or a city staff. While the City Council has not yet made any formal commitment to race equity, the city staff has created a North star document which declares their commitment to race equity. The city has not yet created any equity goals that they have shared.

Although the COBI climate committee has incorporated an equity lens into their work, it is not clear if they have applied that lens to the climate plan and recommendations they've sent to the city.

The Council and the city have not yet used any formal process to proactively assess the race equity impacts of any policies, procedures, recommendations or regulations.

REAC recommends the Council and the city undertake race equity training with input from REAC.

The Council, develop and adopt the use of a race equity lens for all decisions with input from REAC.

Council directs the city to provide equity training for all staff with input from REAC. Develop a COBI race equity plan including specific race equity goals with input from the community and REAC develop and adopt a race equity lens for all decisions, tailored for the various city departments. Monitor the progress of goals in the COBI race equity plan using data, community input and input from REAC. The council asked each of the city standing committees to adopt a race equity lens with input from REAC. The above recommendations will carry COBI into the next phase of their race equity journey. So that's what I came up with so far.

Any comments?

Questions?.

Renni:

Thank you, I think it's a great start. I would recommend that somewhere in there, add in you have some sort of personal commitment, not just a city commitment but it's something that you're doing yourself, so you might do some reading on your own. You might listen to a webinar, or you might do something on your own as opposed to "it's required" so I'll do it. I didn't see that in there. Maybe we could just throw it in, not that we could require it, but it might be a recommendation.

Eric: I love it. Thank you for putting this together and starting. I think this recommendation is kind of the whole ball game. I said this last week, it seems a lot like when race equity issues are brought into the process it's always either too early or too late, the problem is, we need to fix the damn process. We need to come up with a way to bake it into everything the city does. Consideration of race equity issues in the same way that we consider fiscal lens or a land use lens on various decisions. I think we want to spend some more time with it, but I think the recommendations are right.

I think we should quote some of the city's own language back to it. This is not just a journey. Equity journey sounds a little whoo whoo to me. It's a commitment that the city has made in writing. It's in our ordinance. It's in other documents, and I think the best way to persuade to cajole or shame the Council to actually adopt this, is to point out to them that you've already said this is what you want to do.

That it's a commitment, rather than something that they've said they want to do. We can talk about word smithing later, but I think it's a great start.

Jing: Peggy thank you so much for drafting this it has. So much to it. I have one question. Is this going to be presented as a resolution, like with whereas is or is this a letter? What is the accepted form?

Peggi: I was thinking of it as a recommendation from our committee to the Council. So that's not a resolution. I think it's a recommendation.

Jing: I also want to echo what Eric said in terms of using the city's own language. I think it's much more direct. And with that I, you know, following what Renni was saying, as well. Equity is not a nine to five job. There is some personal investment when one must take. You're not an equitable person at your job, and then go into your community and then you drop it all off. So, if we can in a respectful and direct way, get the council and the city to make this not a performative exercise, but something that is ingrained in their work.

That will be my dream, because then they can use that lens in every decision they make, I mean that's something that I have to work on as well. Whenever I have a decision, I go through my checklist, and it's never too late to use a race equity lens, but it's always better from the beginning. I can't count how many times decisions have been made.

Something comes to us and we're like "well, where's the race equity lens on it, it should have been used at the beginning", but it's not always up to us to say that.

Oftentimes we're not even asked to do that, but it should become automatic and when we look at other cities who have adopted race equity plans, we are far behind. So, the city and the city council need more than a little nudge and I'm glad it's coming from us, so thank you Peggy.

Renni: I just wanted to point out that our Race Equity Advisory Committee page under duties and responsibility number five says recommend to the City Council a racial equity Action Plan and implementation strategy. They've already said they wanted this. Told us that we should give them this thing, and so just to further what Eric said basically what we're saying is "yeah, you should go do it".

I think there may be an idea that "Oh, the REAC is going to develop the plan and put on our desk, and we'll look at it and say "oh how that looks nice. "But of course, when we do it that way there is no ownership and generally what I found is when you hand people policies that they didn't get a chance to have input on they look for holes in it, as opposed to looking for ways to support it. If they had been part of the development of it. I think, maybe part of our recommendation is that we, together with the city council, develop the race equity plan so that city council has ownership and that we're not just giving them something that they would just look for holes to say, "well can't do for this", if they have ownership in it there'd be some motivation to ensure that it was successful. To reiterate what Eric said, and notice that it's already in there that something they told us they want us to do for them.

Peggi: Not sure they gave us that language, I think we made it made up that language

Deanna: I just wanted to say, very quickly, I appreciate this work and it looks great. I'll have to spend some time with it before I'm able to give any valuable feedback. But thank you very much. I agree with everything that Jing said, Absolutely I don't think it's ever too late.

Eric: When we send up our resolution on the police facility, I found it helpful to have either Ellen or Blair there to kind of suggest how we might process this. a question which is, where do we go from here in terms of fleshing this out or give you feedback or how are we going to develop this into a kind of a final resolution? I don't think we need to rush this. I do think it's worth spending time and getting right

Peggi :I thought I would take it to the strategic planning committee meeting next week and have them take what you've already said, incorporate, refine it tomorrow and bring it back to the next meeting for a second go round.

Renni: Wednesday, February nine I will not be at the at the strategic meeting next week

Peggi: I mean either you can call me and give input, or you can show up at the law and policy and get input there okay. I just wanted to point out some of you have talked about the race equity lens and how important it is, and I agree, but if that is all we have then we are not going to necessarily increase making this city staff reflect the community. We are not necessarily going to be looking at procurement.

When we met make a procurement decision, we might be able to use our lens to say how does this impact people, but I think having equity goals is higher, because you're actually saying we want all of our areas to be more equitable and how can we achieve that with goals using data? How can we get more staffing of color in our city, in our policing etc.? We want to have these various goals, so I think that it's important to have both aspects.

## REFLECTIONS ON JOINT MEETING WITH BREMERTON REAC

Renni: I just wanted to say quickly that I appreciated the meeting. It was good to see another group. I really appreciate that they work at spending time with each other and getting to know each other. You just you can't put a price on what that does for your group. I'm hoping that we can maybe take a cue there and figure out some ways to do the same thing.

Deanna: I'm grateful for the opportunity to have that joint meeting and it always feels better to do this work in community. I think that it's beneficial to hear how other people are doing things.

I heard the other day that "we're in the battle of imaginations" and I'll just say that personally, I feel also that sometimes we are in a battle of imagination and status quo, or no imagination. I really appreciate ideas that are out of the box, that are working for other people, that show proof of working for other groups.

Peggi: I love the meeting, and I think we should all make an effort to go to the event, they were promoting. The Race Equity Summit that's here in Kitsap County. It's a chance for us to build relationship with other folks doing equity work in Kitsap County.

Deanna: That event though, I checked on it today, and it doesn't have a virtual link. It is an in-person event?

Peggi: Correct, in person event. It's going to be at Marvin William Center. Friday cost \$50 and Saturday is free.

Jing: And just a reminder are we're going to be meeting with them again at the end of April. I'll be sure to put that on the agenda, but just keep in mind the end of April.

I like also what Aaron had to say about encouraging and including more cities to start their own REAC and what an impact it would be to have a regional force. I also liked how they were so much more informal with each other, and their committee includes council members as voting members. I think they were taken a little aback by how formal we were, and that we had to observe more rules. I just got great joy meeting with them.

Eric: I was struck by that as well, Jing. I think part of that is a function of Bremerton is just a different system of government. Where we're an arm of the city council, essentially, which is the decision-making body in this city. I feel like we've got more formality, but also more of a formal seat at the table. Bremerton is more of the strong mayor form. A council member there

doesn't have quite the same role as here. It seems like that's an issue there they're working their way through, in terms of how close to the table that brings them.

#### FOLLOW-UP ON REAC ITEMS - CANDIDATES FOR POSITION 4

Jing: we were supposed to get a status report from Ellen or Roz about how many applicants there were. Then also applicants from the last round. There was also a question just about the who's going to call applicants. I don't know whether there is an official procedure for that. If we can get clarification that would be great.

Roz: we received six applications. Those redacted applications were sent to Clarence, Savanna and James yesterday or the day before. I'm supposed to schedule meeting with the interview panel for them to review the applications. I would be happy to call them and see if they're still interested in serving, or you can have James or Savanna do it. Then based on that would tally them up and then the decision is whether or not you want to interview everyone. That's where we're at right now, so I can certainly reach out to them tomorrow.

Savanna: Roz did you say you sent an email to me?

Roz: Just to James and liaisons because. That's part of the code as it's written right now.

Savanna: I will have to double check them with James and see if he got them. I just don't know his status on what he's been in peace up and about or if he is not able to respond and read emails currently.

Deanna: Roz what does that timeline from start to finish look like of all of what you said?

Roz: it depends on the availability of the selection panel folks to go through the applications and then you certainly want to give folks enough leeway or enough time. To get prepared for their interview. You would also discuss perhaps veering towards having them be interviewed by REAC, just like Bremerton does, that would be something that would be up to the committee to decide. This one vacancy is only through June of 2022.

Jing: With an option, from what I understand to be reappointed. That is determined by who?

Roz: That would be something I need to talk to Ellen about, but what's usually the case is, they serve out there six months and then when a call for participation is opened again, they can apply again. Sometimes folks say "no that's good I'm done" so you sort of give them that option, and the committee as well.

Deanna: So just for clarity, Roz you're saying in regard to that portion, the portion that Jing was talking about, where it says you can come back three additional terms. If one of us are appointed, then we have to put in an application again?

Roz: that's the current practice.

Jing: Savanna I think Roz has offered to call previous applicants. Is that something that you would like Ross to do?

Savanna: seems like a good idea. That's how it went last time as well. I think, we should continue that if Roz is up for doing that, then that would be super helpful.

Eric: I would support that.

Renni: My offers still there to help y'all figure out what you want to ask and what you want to look for.

Savanna: once I get in contact with James and figure out how he's doing and if we can get a meeting on the books with him, then Renni you, James and I can meet and talk about questions

Clarence: we would like to hear what questions you'd like to ask. Because there'll be people that will be serving with you. My suggestion would be that it would be a standardized list as you guys mentioned before, that could be the same list of questions that every applicant would be asked. If we indeed are interviewing them. We may decide there are only three candidates or may decide that there's one that's an outstanding stand out. There may not be an interview process depending on how the committee feels.

CITY COUNCIL MEETING REPORT

Eric: anybody who didn't see the meeting this past Tuesday?

Savanna: I haven't seen it yet, no.

Eric: Okay. Well, the headline was that they, the Council approved a site for the police and court facility. They did not accept our recommendation to consider a race equity lens prior to selecting the site.

I think I heard a majority of the Council say that parallel to the site development they would refer to this committee. REAC consideration of what goes on within the facility which the city manager, I think, undertook to present to us at some point.

There was a lot of color which I think most of you are familiar with, and some of which is already written about in the paper, so I don't know that it's productive to go into it, you can all read the paper for yourself. It was fairly passionate I'll say that.

I don't know if our liaison wants to add anything or related there.

Deanna: That meeting needs to be talked about.

Savanna: I think it's 7:39. I think talking about it is a bigger discussion to be put on a meeting agenda item in the future once everybody has viewed said material. Does that seem fair?

Deanna: can we put it on the agenda?

Jing: I will say that the agenda for next meeting is pretty full

Savanna: Well then, we're going to have to bump something so.

Deanna: Can I say what I want to say out of the order then?

Savanna: Yes, you can If there is something you would like to say. I think we do need to bump something off the agenda to make room for this though. Jing you and I can talk about this.

Eric: Or say it now. My summary as Deanna knows was pretty cursory and kind of in the interest of time.

Savanna: I think that we can move on to number nine and do good of the order. I think it would be better to do under good of the order.

Jing: it's 7:40 maybe we can just we can talk about things; I think it is important to talk about and maybe we just cut off at eight. I will say that the agenda for next time is full. We have people that are going to be speaking and I haven't presented the agenda yet, but Savanna has referred a couple different items that we need to put possibly on the agenda for next time, so I think now's as good a time as any

#### Good of the Order

Peggi: I just want everybody to know that there are a lot of bills to roll back the criminal justice reforms in this state, that were passed last year I don't know about our police on Bainbridge, but the county sheriff has been endorsing them he got the Commissioners to send a letter to endorse one of the rollback bills. Last year, there was a bill passed that restricted high-speed pursuits and the police are very unhappy about that, among other bills, which is 1310 and they've been lobbying against them. I just wanted to bring that up so everybody's aware of what's going on in Olympia.

Jing: this is a separate item, so Brenda is not here today because she's attending, as I mentioned the Puget Sound Regional Council equity meeting. She had been going to those meetings in order to be present for these and so I was just curious what it would mean for people if they would be available. if it would be too disruptive if we moved our first and third Thursday meetings to second and fourth Thursdays. What that would mean for everyone's schedules and especially Roz. Roz would be the first person we would check in with.

Peggi: Are there any other standing meetings?

Roz: I think the planning Commission they do meet on Thursdays so I'm looking to see what date that is so, if you can just give me a moment okay.

Peggi: And do you know what time Brenda's meetings are, Jing? I was just wondering if we could offset them.

Jing: That's a good that's a good question as well. I'll just ask her right now if she's available.

Peggi: I think moving our meeting earlier though might be harder on our working members so.

Jing: We couldn't move them earlier than what we have right now. I'm checking with Brenda on her availability right now.

Roz: Okay, so the planning Commission meets on the second and fourth Thursday of the month from six to eight.

Jing: Okay, and you cover those meetings I'm assuming?

Roz: I don't, but for folks that may want to enjoy this meeting, and that one, have a conflict. Members of the planning Commission have been in the attendees he whole night and then when we go back to in person whenever that is, we'll have an issue with room availability.

Jing: Okay, just information gathering then. So, it would be room availability and planning commission. So, we'll figure it out it's just good to get all the pieces together Okay, thank you.

Deanna: I just want to start this quick conversation with the bell hooks quote.

"White supremacy is not a white thing it's a part of a culture" It is a culture. "it's part of how all of us have been taught to think" taught to think "who's better who's superior" who has more superior ideas and it says, "we are all being socialized to think amongst certain dualistic lives".

I often feel like we don't understand all the time, the differences between a culture and racism. I heard that meeting, I listened to all the things, and there were a lot of moments in there, that I will just back up our liaison, Brenda when she said that she was embarrassed by the comments of the council. I too was embarrassed, and I need and want to state publicly that it was embarrassing. We've already stated we're behind but it's a whole other thing when people are not even in a place where they're willing to admit that they're behind and I heard that acknowledgement of we need equity, but we already understand that words mean very little if they're not backed by action and moves. I see that people are accepting the language, more accepting that we need an equity lens, more accepting of these ideas, but I don't see the acceptance of the action parts. I heard people say that, and this is not verbatim, but it was kind of along the lines of "that doesn't happen here" and I think we'll all agree in this room that is not correct, but there are a lot of people that share that opinion that it's not here.

I just want to ask people to ask themselves and the council and especially not just to those that happened to identify as being white or of European heritage, but to all of us that have privileges. To those that have lighter skin or other privileges, health privileges, money privileges, all of them. There are lots of them. I just want people to stop asking for us to prove it and instead start to ask what informs them that because they don't see something or because



it hasn't been their experience, that somehow that is the end all be all. I heard this thing recently. An African woman speaking, a joke that until a white man decides that something exists it doesn't exist, and oftentimes that is the case. I'm seeing it here on a micro level in our Council. The conversation was very disappointing, and it showed exactly where we are. It showed that we're behind.

Savanna: I want to say that I agree with you. I haven't seen, but I have had several people approach me and say that it was embarrassing and not what they thought should be happening on this island. I am going to watch for my own opinion, but I have been approached by several members of the community. Thank you for bringing it to light Deanna

Renni: So, like Savanna I have not seen the video myself. One of the things that I've heard about the meeting was the idea that it was too late. We're beyond the point where we can do something different, and I've now heard that in two separate city meetings. I go back to is what Dr King said, which is "the time is always right to do what is right". If you have your idea, it's formed, it's beautiful in your eyes, it's wonderful and you show it to somebody else who had nothing to say about it and they say, "well, what about this, or what about that" you know it's not too late to take into account what other people think. And it's a rare day when that is the case, and that is not the case with the police station and the project. so again, the time is always right to do what is right.

Deanna: I just want to see one last thing and honestly, I don't know how to go about this Clarence, because I understand supremacy culture and how it works. I don't agree with shame and shaming people. I don't want that, and a lot of the time I say things because I want more understanding. The culture that we have always turns it into a shameful thing. So, when I say this, I just want you to consider that part. I'm saying what I'm saying publicly because of the fact that you said what you said publicly, and so I feel the need to counter it. It wasn't a good look. It wasn't a good look to try to shame our other liaison. I wish that you would have found more understanding about where they were coming from and what they were saying. Because their experience is not your experience. your experience is not their experience. We're all from different communities. I don't want to ever be in this place of playing some kind of oppression Olympics of who's had what experiences when we're all needing to be on the same side of things where equity is concerned I think that as we move into this time, we need to be careful. I'm wanting us to mitigate harm towards each other. The truth is that no one is having Brenda's experience. And no one can understand what Brenda's experience is like. I think that she was speaking her truth. And what I heard her saying was she was talking about supremacy culture and that's why I started off with an explanation of what that is. A lot of folks want to go straight to the hoods and the overt white supremacy, but there is a whole covert white supremacy that happens too, and it happens all the time. I feel it's very important to listen to Black women. To listen to the most marginalized voices. I've said it before publicly and I'll say it again, the most marginalized voices are those with the most intersections. Are those with the darkest skin tones and they're allowed to have their truth. They're allowed to speak it, and they're allowed to speak it without people taking that personally. We decide if something is about us or not.

Whiteness is a social construct, so when folks are talking about whiteness it's like James Baldwin said, "folks get to choose how white they want to be". That's all communities, all people, because this dominant culture is something that each group of people coming over on boats or however, they came over had to choose to accept or not accept or had to choose to have as a part of survival. I just really hope that we take more care with people and that we allow people to speak their truth and have their truth without going into the whole "I'm offended" thing, because there's nothing to be offended by somebody's truth if you're not a part of that. Now if you're a part of supremacy culture, you're upholding supremacy culture, you want to be a part of that, want to have the benefits of that privileges of that. It can be offensive, I guess, but that's a choice we all get to make

Savanna: Thank you, Deanna for speaking your truth, I appreciate you.

Brenda: I just wanted to say that I'm sorry I'm coming in at the almost end of a meeting, but I think a lot of you knew that I wouldn't be here.

Peggi: Brenda we were talking about our meeting schedule and what is the meeting schedule of the Regional Council.

Brenda: Its monthly the first Thursday of every month.

Peggi: at what time.

Brenda: From 530 to 730 ish once a month, but you know they're doing subcommittees and things like that which I haven't gotten on anything but, I'd like to dig in deeper with their equity tracker tool just to see what I can bring to this group with that, but that's down the line.

Jing: Well, we'll figure some we'll figure something out. I'll just kind of like putting together the carpooling grid or something to see how it all works and we'll look at times Roz gave us insights on when planning Commission is meeting.

Savanna: awesome well, it looks like we have come to the conclusion, go to the unless anybody has anything else, for the good of the order I'd say it is time to call it a night.

ADJOURNMENT

Renni: Move we adjourn.

Savanna: Second, all in favor.

REAC: Aye.



CITY OF  
BAINBRIDGE ISLAND

## Race Equity Advisory Committee Code of Conduct

The Bainbridge Island Race Equity Advisory Committee encourages community attendance and participation. We are committed to providing a safe environment free from discrimination and harassment.

We ask all meeting participants to embrace our values of equity and inclusion and to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with these values. Please be prepared to participate in courageous conversation. Stay engaged. Agree to experience discomfort. Feel welcome to speak your truth. Expect and accept non-closure.

The Race Equity Advisory Committee has assigned two designees as the first point of contact for anyone who thinks that they have experienced discrimination, harassing or otherwise unacceptable behavior during this meeting. Please contact a designee if you have any concerns.

Today's designees the Chair and Vice Chair.



# dx<sup>w</sup>səq<sup>w</sup>əb

PLACE OF THE CLEAR SALT WATER



## LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT STATEMENT

“Every part of this soil is sacred in the estimation of my people. Every hillside, every valley, every plain and grove, has been hallowed by some sad or happy event in days long vanished.”

*Chief Seattle 1854*

We would like to begin by acknowledging that the land on which we gather is within the ancestral territory of the suq<sup>w</sup>abš “People of Clear Salt Water” (Suquamish People). Expert fisherman, canoe builders and basket weavers, the suq<sup>w</sup>abš live in harmony with the lands and waterways along Washington’s Central Salish Sea as they have for thousands of years. Here, the suq<sup>w</sup>abš live and protect the land and waters of their ancestors for future generations as promised by the Point Elliot Treaty of 1855.



# SUQUAMISH TRIBE

