Information & Statistics
The Bainbridge Island Police Department is committed to providing accurate and timely information to those we serve. If you have questions, or are looking for certain data you can't find, send us an email and we'll do our best to get it for you.
Good policy is the foundation for public safety operations. It is a critical component that ensures fairness, consistency, and provides guidance for police response. Bainbridge Island Police Department policies are based on national standards and best practices, comply with state and federal laws, and comply with court rulings. Our policy manual is continuously reviewed and updated and the practices of the department are reviewed for compliance with those policies. Click here to review the most recent version of the BIPD Policy Manual.
Calls for Service
Have you ever wondered how many and what kinds of calls Bainbridge Island police officers respond to? Click here to use the interactive data search on BIPD Calls for Service provided through OpenGov.
Here are tables showing information tracked on specific types of crimes, events, and occurrences that we call 'performance measures.' Information for the current year is updated quarterly. If you want to look at older information, let us know and we'll be happy to provide those measures as well:
Professional Standards Reports
At the end of each year, the Bainbridge Island Police Department issues a publication called a Professional Standards Report which provides an overview of department operations, changes in personnel, a summary of outreach efforts, performance measures, a review and analysis of complaints, uses of force, officer-involved collisions, and bias-based policing. (This document was formerly called an Annual Report.) The publication also includes highlights regarding to training and professional development, notable events and more.
Customer Survey Program
Since 2012, the BIPD has been sending out 20 surveys at random each month to individuals who had contact with a member of the department during the previous month. The intent of the survey is to give the citizens we serve an opportunity to evaluate how we’re doing. Respondents are provided with a postage paid return envelope and survey answers are anonymous. The response rate continues to be encouraging and we thank everyone who received a survey and took the time to respond. Your feedback helps us recognize our successes and identify areas that need improvement. Results for the current year are updated quarterly.
- 2023 Customer Survey Results Year to Date through Quarter 3
- 2022 Customer Survey Results Summary
- 2021 Customer Survey Results Summary
- 2020 Customer Survey Results Summary*
- 2019 Customer Survey Results Summary
- 2018 Customer Survey Results Summary
- 2017 Customer Survey Results Summary
- 2016 Customer Survey Results Summary
- 2015 Customer Survey Results Summary
- 2014 Customer Survey Results Summary
- 2013 Customer Survey Results Summary
- 2012 Customer Survey Results Summary
* In 2020, no surveys were mailed in May or June. This was due in part to a reduced number of calls for service and a purposefully reduced number of self-generated interactions in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, although responses continued to arrive based on surveys sent earlier in the year. The practice of mailing surveys began again in July.