Criminal Cases

Next Day Hearings

The law requires that persons who are arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) and for domestic violence must appear in court on the next court day. Judge McCulloch conducts these next-day hearings even if the next day is not a normally scheduled court day. In this way, appropriate restrictions can be placed on the defendant for the protection of the public, and defendants can be released from jail when appropriate.

Jail Video Hearings

The City of Bainbridge Island has a contract with Kitsap County Jail in Port Orchard for jail services. The court has established a video link with the jail for routine court hearings for persons who are being held in custody pending their trials. The video system allows defendants to see the judge, public defender, prosecutor, and courtroom audience members. Those in the courtroom can see the defendant on a large screen TV. In this way, it is no longer necessary for the police to drive long distances back and forth to Port Orchard to transport prisoners. This has resulted in a substantial saving to the city, in terms of financial resources, as well as better utilization of the police officers. Officers are able to perform their regular functions instead of driving prisoners back and forth to court. For hearings that require a longer period of time than allowed on the jail video, defendants are transported to the courtroom.

Frequently Asked Questions About Criminal Cases

Being accused of a criminal or serious traffic offense can be a stressful experience. We hope that the information below will help you through the process and take some mystery out of the procedures. We have tried to anticipate and answer frequently asked questions. If you have any additional questions, don’t hesitate to ask a staff member at the court.

Printable Criminal Process and Procedure Brochure (PDF)

Keeping Your Address Up-to-Date

It is very important that you keep your address up to date with any courts you have cases in and the Department of Licensing (DOL). The court and the DOL use that address information to contact you. If you don’t update your address, you may be missing important notices that could negatively impact you. If you fail to respond to a court summons on a criminal case that is sent to an out-of-date address, a warrant could issue for your arrest.

You must contact the court and DOL to update your address in both places. You may use the court's online form to update your address.

You may update your address at the DOL website.