Claims Against the City

Claims Against the City

Instructions for Completing & Filing a Claim

Please read carefully and follow the steps listed below for faster processing of your claim:

  • Read and follow the directions that are provided with the claim form (PDF)
  • Complete the City of Bainbridge Island claim for damages form
  • Attach relevant supporting documents (copies of any receipts, bills, invoices, estimates, etc.) or additional evidence (photographs, diagrams, etc.). All documents are subject to the Washington state public disclosure statutes.
  • You must file the claim with the city clerk in order for it to be valid. Return the original form and associated documents in person, by mail or by email to:
    City Clerk
    City of Bainbridge Island
    280 Madison Avenue North
    Bainbridge Island, WA 98110

After a Claim is Filed

Once a claim is filed with the city clerk, it is forwarded to the city's insurance company, Washington Cities Insurance Authority (WCIA). WCIA will then assign an adjuster who will handle the claim from that point forward. All inquiries as to the status of a claim should be directed to the adjuster.

Information will be gathered from the involved department, which will be used to evaluate the claim and respond in one of the following three methods:

  • Accept / settle the claim in whole or in part as a compromise
  • Deny the claim (where there is not evidence of negligence or liability by the city)
  • Tender the claim (transfer it to another party)

If your claim is accepted, you will be required to sign a release before payment can be processed.