Historic Preservation Commission
First Thursday of every month, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm.
Information on Role of Councilmember Liaisons.
Click here for more information on the City’s COVID-19 response.
Agendas and Minutes
Purpose and Mission
The Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) consists of seven members who are appointed by the Mayor and approved by the City Council in accordance with the City’s Historic Preservation Program (BIMC 18.24). In 2004, the Historic Preservation Program earned status as a Certified Local Government (CLG), a certification established by the National Historic Preservation Act and, in Washington State, administered by the Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation (DAHP). Responsibilities of a CLG include maintaining a Historic Preservation Commission, surveying local historic properties, enforcing state or local preservation laws, reviewing National Register Nominations, and providing for public participation in historic preservation activities.
The mission of the HPC is to advocate for the preservation of historically significant buildings, structures, sites, objects, and districts. The HPC establishes, maintains, and updates the local historic inventory, local historic register, heritage tree register, and identifies register eligible properties. Additionally, the HPC reviews nominations to the local, state, and national registers, minor conditional use permits (CUP) for zoning relief, changes or alterations to local historic register or register eligible properties, demolition permits, and special valuation of historic properties. To see recent activities and our goals for the year, see the 2018 Annual Report and 2019 Work Plan.
- Heritage Tree Nomination Form
- Historic Register Nomination Form
- Bainbridge Island Municipal Code (BIMC) - Historic Preservation Program (Chapter 18.24)Historical Assessor’s Record
- National Park Service US Department of the Interior – Technical Preservation Services
- The Secretary of The Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties with Guidelines
- Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation (DAHP)
- Special Tax Valuation
Research a Property
- Bainbridge Island Historical Museum
- Bainbridge Public Library
- Washington Information System for Architectural & Archaeological Records Data (WISAARD) - Historic Property Inventory Forms
- Kitsap County Assessor Historical Documents