Civil Service Commission
Regular Meeting Schedule
- Time: 3 p.m. on the first Wednesday of every month
- Location: Bainbridge Island City Hall
Council Conference Room
280 Madison Avenue N
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
Agendas & Minutes
The agenda for the current meeting will be available the day prior to the meeting. You can access the current agenda, along with past meeting information via the Agenda Center. Please note, minutes will not be posted until approved by the Commission.
Creation of the Commission
The Civil Service Commission was created by and functions under the authority of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and the Bainbridge Island Municipal Code. By law, the Commission is limited to those civil service personnel matters involving Public Safety Department employees.
Purpose & Responsibilities
The Civil Service Commission is charged with ensuring hiring examination processes for the Police Department are open and competitive at entry and promotional levels. The Commission adopts rules and regulations for the Police Department‘s Civil Service employees. The Commission also handles appeals related to testing and to those involving employee discipline.
The Civil Service Commission’s duties include the following:
- Certify to the appointing authority the name (or names) of the individual(s) ranked highest on the eligibility list.
- Hear and determine appeals or complaints.
- Make rules for operation of the Civil Service System that are consistent with state law. Access the current version of the Commission’s rules (PDF).
- Provide for, develop, and hold competitive tests to determine relative qualifications of candidates and, as result of the testing process, prepare eligibility lists.
Entry level police officer applicants must apply through Public Safety Testing. Please visit the Employment Page for more information.
Lateral applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis. Please visit the Employment Page for more information about the Lateral Police Officer position and to apply.
Learn more about the Civil Service hiring process.
Number of Vacancies
There is currently 1 officer vacancy in the Police Department as of June 9, 2020.
Current Eligibility Lists