Shoreline Master Program
The Shoreline Master Program (SMP) establishes goals, policies and regulations for the shoreline jurisdiction of Bainbridge Island. The current SMP became effective in July 2014 after a comprehensive update process. The SMP is available in two versions:
- BIMC 16.12 (Regulations Only) (PDF)
- Complete Official Version Ordinance 2014-04 Including Goals, Policies and Regulations) (PDF)
Official shoreline designations are mapped (PDF).
SMP Periodic Review
The Washington State Shoreline Management Act requires communities to review their SMP every eight years. This review includes evaluation of the City's current SMP and development of recommended amendments.
This review is not a major update of the SMP like the City adopted in 2014. Its purpose is to ensure the SMP is consistent with changes in state law and addresses errors, omissions and opportunities for improved clarity and readability.
The Planning Commission has started the periodic review process. There will be public outreach and engagement throughout the process including opportunities to comment on the proposed amendments. The proposed amendments will be included in the Planning Commission agenda and posted to this webpage the Friday prior to the meeting.
The Planning Commission will hold a public hearing on draft amendments in fall 2019. The proposal will be refined based on public comments at the hearing and provided to City Council in early 2020 for review, amendment and adoption by the end of June 2020.
Updated information about the periodic review including schedules and opportunities for involvement, will be posted on this web page.
SMP Periodic Review Background Materials
Planning Commission meeting materials will be posted here on the Friday prior to the scheduled meeting. You are encouraged to submit written comments for Planning Commission consideration prior to the meeting.
July 11, 2019
- Staff Memorandum
- Phase I Discussion Draft - SMP Section 4.1.3, Vegetation Management
- Regulatory Guidance Memo - Zone 2 Planting
- SMP Table 4-3 - Shoreline Buffers
- Subcommittee Memo to Planning Commission
June 27, 2019
May 23, 2019
There are currently two other amendments to the SMP underway:
- Limited amendment related to aquaculture - Locally adopted by City Council in October 2016, City staff is coordinating with the Washington Department of Ecology (Ecology) on potential required and recommended changes and Ecology's conditional approval for City Council consideration sometime in late spring 2019.
- Amendment related to critical areas regulations and nonconforming uses, structures and lots - This draft amendment was approved by City Council in January 2019. The entire submittal package was submitted to Ecology in April.
Share Your Feedback/Opportunities for Input
Planning Commission meeting materials will be posted on this webpage the Friday prior to the scheduled meeting. You are encouraged to submit written comments for Planning Commission consideration prior to the meeting or provide public comment at the meeting.
Public comment at Planning Commission Meetings
E-mail comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail comments to Planning & Community Development:
Planning & Community Development
280 Madison Ave N
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
If you have any questions, please contact: