Planning & Community Development
New Alteration/Subject to Field Inspection Online Permit Rolled Out
The City has created a new online permit for residential alterations or remodels that are solely within the interior of a home. These alterations must not involve going outside the existing footprint or raise roof lines.
Examples of work covered under the R-ALT-STFI permit type include:
- Kitchen remodel - Moving appliances around within the kitchen space and/or adding a beam to eliminate posts.
- Interior space remodel - Moving or deleting walls.
- Reconfiguring bedrooms - Does not include adding a bedroom.
- Small structural changes - Requires stamped engineering plan at time of submittal.
- Bathroom remodel.
- Adding interior LP gas lines for new appliances (gas fireplace)
- Above existing garage space - Creating ADU's are not eligible for this type of permit.
- Changing staircases or railings.
Work that is NOT eligible for this permit type:
- Alterations outside the existing footprint work.
- LP tank replacements.
- Additions to existing homes.
- Detached garages.
- Grading on property.
- New utility installation.
- Tree clearing or vegetation management.
- Commercial improvements.
- Raising of roof or changing roof heights and/or size.
- Drainage improvements.
This permit is supported by an online application process very similar to our residential mechanical (R-MEC) permit and may be applied for using the Online Permit Portal.
City hall reopened on July 1, 2021, with resumed counter service to the public. Open counter hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 12:00 Noon on a first come, first served basis. Permit application submittal continues to be by appointment only and we will only accept digital documents.
*NEW* On July 1 we will also be holding 15 minute counter consultations with either a Planner or a Building Inspector at 1:30 PM. These are by appointment only and will be offered Monday through Friday.
City to Resume In Person Payments July 1, 2021
Beginning July 1, the City will resume in-person payments. Customers will be responsible for convenience fees for any credit card payments.
Planning & Community Development rolls out new phase in electronic permitting process: Applicant Uploaded Submittals.
To see the most commonly required submittal documents for each permit type, please click one of the links below:
What We Do
The Planning and Community Development (PCD) department coordinates and manages land use activity on Bainbridge Island, WA.
To make a payment on an invoice received, we have several options available:
- Online Permit Portal
- By phone: 206-842-7633
- By mail: Send a check to 280 Madison Ave N., Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
- At pay box: Insert check in the pay box located near the disable parking area on the east end of City Hall.
Beginning July 1, the City will resume in-person payments, so customers will be responsible for convenience fees for any credit card payments. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the City paid $52,000 in convenience fees on behalf of customers while in-person payments were not an option.
The City’s third-party vendor is PayGov.US which assesses a 3.0% convenience fee on all credit/debit card transactions (with a minimum fee of $3.00 on all transactions under $33.00).
We look forward to welcoming our customers in person once again.
Available appointments include the following:
By appointment; or
By appointment only except the following can be submitted directly through the Online Permit Center without an appointment:
By appointment only except the following can be submitted directly though the Online Permit Center without an appointment:
Applicants must use the Universal Revision Form when submitting revisions.
Inspections may also be requested by calling the Inspection Line at (206) 780-3789. Building inspections may be requested for AM (9 am - 12:30 pm) or PM (Noon to 3:30 PM) and will be assigned based on inspector availability. Specific time slots can not be guaranteed and may change based on demand.
Requesting an inspection for public works, electrical, fire and/or Kitsap County Health District or engineering? Instructions for requesting these inspections
The Online Permit Center allows you to do the following online:
- Check the status of a permit
- Apply for a permit (some restrictions apply)
- Upload permit application submittal documents
- Schedule an inspection
- View inspection schedule
- Pay permit fees
Other items available online are: