- News & Social Media
- City Projects
- Stormwater System Plan (SWSP)
Stormwater System Plan (SWSP)
The City is embarking on a comprehensive Stormwater Planning effort to meet Council priorities for an Island-wide Stormwater System Plan and also to meet Stormwater Planning requirements included in the 2019-2024 Western Washington Phase II Municipal Stormwater National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit.
Stormwater System Plan (SWSP) Primary Objectives:
- Offer a single comprehensive resource guide for stakeholders, staff, and decision makers for sustainable and adaptive stormwater and surface water management on Bainbridge Island.
- Support full compliance of the Western Washington Phase II Municipal Stormwater NPDES permit and Industrial Stormwater General Permit; and provide a Stormwater Management Action Plan to follow.
- Inform strategy and transparency with identifying and prioritizing stormwater infrastructure asset improvement projects. Including enhancements to address deficiencies in asset inventory data, tracking, and reporting.
- Appraisal of current and needed relevant City programs, projects, and staff levels to meet present and future service demands and regulatory requirements for surface water and stormwater management, operations and maintenance, planning, development, and re-development.
- Evaluation of funding sources and fund utilization for surface water and stormwater management, including but not limited to grants and Storm and Surface Water Utility (SSWM) fee rates and revenue.
- Assess real and potential impacts of climate change on surface water and stormwater on Bainbridge Island and measures and activities to apply to minimize impacts.
- Propose improvements to internal and external enforcement mechanisms and procedures to implement to successfully achieve the objectives therein.
The NPDES requirements achieved by this effort briefly entail the following:
S5.C.1.a - Convene an inter-disciplinary team to inform and assist in the development, progress, and influence of this program.
Current inter-disciplinary team members:
- Stella Collier – Stormwater Management Program Coordinator
- Christian Berg – Water Resources Specialist
- Paul Nylund – Development Engineering and Water Resources Manager
- Peter Corelis – City Engineer
- HP Harper - Planning Manager
- Dave Marquis – Operations and Maintenance Supervisor
- Jennifer Sutton – Senior Planner
- Peter Best – Senior Planner
- Autumn Salamack – Climate Adaptation Officer
S5.C.1.b - Coordination with long-range plan updates
S5.C.1.c - Low impact development code-related requirements
S5.C.1.d - Conduct Stormwater Management Action Planning (SMAP)
S5.C.1.d.i - Complete a receiving waters assessment by 03/31/22. - DONE and submitted to Dept. of Ecology
S5.C.1.d.ii - Complete a receiving waters prioritization by 06/30/22
S5.C.1.d.iii - Develop a Stormwater Management Action Plan (SMAP) by 03/31/23
This effort is occurring in conjunction with the below related City projects that will be included into the SWSP:
Title VI Notice:
The City of Bainbridge Island fully complies with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and related statues in all programs and activities. Language services are available upon request. Those requiring disability accommodations and/or materials made available in alternate formats, please contact the City Clerk at 206.842.2545 or firstname.lastname@example.org