We at the City of Bainbridge Island join with the nation in grieving the loss of Mr. George Floyd. We stand strongly against bias and racism in any form, and we respect and support those who are peacefully speaking out to make their voices known at this time. Please see the message from Chief of Police Joe Clark to the community here: https://www.bainbridgewa.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=643
Meet new Chief of Police Joe Clark!
Scam Alert - Unemployment Fraud
There is currently a crime wave involving fraudsters filing for unemployment benefits using the identities of others. If you have become a victim, BIPD recommends taking the following steps:
• File a police report using the CopLogic system online, accessed through www.kitsap911.org
• File a report with the Employment Security Department through https://esd.wa.gov/unemployment/unemployment-benefits-fraud
• File a report with the FBI through www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
• File a report with the Federal Trade Commission through https://identitytheft.gov/
• Notify the credit reporting agencies (Experian, Equifax, TransUnion)
Need to renew your Concealed Pistol License?
There is a special process now in place for the convenience of those who need to renew a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) during the current lobby closure due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please review the following instructions:
- In order to renew through the BIPD, you must be a resident of Bainbridge Island.
- Per RCW 9.41.070, a CPL holder may submit a renewal application up to 90 days in advance of its expiration, or up to 90 days after its expiration (which is then considered a late renewal and costs an additional $10).
- A link to the CPL renewal application is available below. You can also request an application by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When you send in your renewal application, please include a copy of your current driver’s license, a copy of your current CPL if you have it, and a check or money order payble to COBI for the amount due (provided below). You may also phone the department at (206) 842-5211 to pay by credit card. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Submit via U.S. Mail to: BIPD, 625 Winslow Way E, BI, WA 98110
- Don’t forget to indicate your return address so we can mail your CPL renewal back to you!
CPL Renewal Fee - $32 (when received up to 90 days prior to current CPL expiration date).
Late Renewal Fee - $42 (when received up to 90 days after current CPL expiration date).
If you are not a Bainbridge Island resident, please apply for your concealed weapon permit at the law enforcement agency in your city of residence. Those residing in unincorporated Kitsap County should visit the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office.
Stay Home, Stay Healthy!
To comply with the extension of Governor Inslee’s ’Stay Home, Stay Healthy’ directive, the police station lobby will remain closed to the public through at least May 31. Rest assured, however, that police officers are still on duty 24/7.
If you need to report a crime or speak to an officer for any reason, please call 911. For other questions or assistance, you may call the station office at 206-842-5211. Our office staff is available to answer your calls between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you get our voice mail during this time, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
The following police services have been suspended, canceled, or otherwise disrupted until further notice:
1. The drug drop box for old medications in the police station lobby is closed.
2. The police ride-along program is suspended (this includes marine ride-alongs).
3. The Community Police Academy is canceled.
4. Fingerprinting services are suspended until further notice.
5. Concealed weapon permit applications will be deferred until April 30th. Those already in progress will be completed and delivered to the recipient.
6. To the furthest extent possible, 911 calls for service will be conducted via phone or online through the CopLogic service.
7. Civil standbys and ‘keep the peace’ type calls will not be performed unless in accordance with a court order.
Other police services will continue to be provided as much as possible, but please be aware that there may be delays, and we ask for your patience and flexibility regarding the delivery of those services.
For more information about what the City is doing in response to COVID-19, please visit:
Summary of Calls for Service by Type
Have you ever wondered what your police officers do? What types of calls we get? Which crimes are the most prevalent on Bainbridge Island? If so, we invite you to take a look at a new feature we’ve added showing a breakdown of calls for service. Beginning with January 2020, we’ll be uploading a summary of calls for service each month. If you have questions about what a call type means, or any other topic, feel free to drop us a line using the link on the right.
Please report cyber-scams to the FBI
The FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) accepts online cybercrime complaints from either the actual victim or from a third party to the complainant. Be prepared with as much of the following information as possible before filing your complaint:
- Victim's name, address, telephone, and email
- Financial transaction information (e.g., account information, transaction date, dollar amount, and who received the money)
- Subject's name, address, telephone, email, website, and IP address
- Specific details on how you were victimized
- Email header(s)
- Any other relevant information you believe is necessary to support your complaint
Do you have a crime tip?
Do you have information that could help solve crime? If so, we want to hear from you! Please consider taking a moment to REPORT your tip (you may remain anonymous if you choose to do so). Thank you in advance for helping us keep the community safe by putting criminals out of business!
Stay Informed! Sign up for Nixle Notifications!
Do you know about Nixle? It's a free notification system used by the Bainbridge Island Police Department and many other law enforcement agencies nationwide to advise subscribers of road closures and detours due to vehicle collisions or other emergent issues. Sign up today on the Nixle website and get real time updates on your cell phone, email, or both. It's free!