Increasing the amount of affordable housing and improving housing affordability generally are goals that permeate several elements of the Comprehensive Plan notably the Land Use, Housing and Economic Elements. To achieve the affordable housing goals and policies in the Comprehensive Plan, City Council created a short-term Affordable Housing Task Force (AHTF) in 2017 to assist the City in prioritizing a variety of affordable housing actions.
Affordable Housing Task Force
The AHTF met 2017 - 2018 and created small work groups to consider individual comprehensive plan goals and policies. The AHTF gave an Interim Report to Council on March 6, 2018 and completed a final report with recommendations to City Council in July 2018 (see below). On November 13, 2018, City Council dissolved the AHTF in recognition of the completion of the group’s planned work.
On November 1, 2017 the AHTF voted unanimously to recommend to City Council that the City pursue an inclusionary zoning program. That recommendation is also Priority Recommendation 1.A from the AHTF Final Report. The City has hired firm ECONorthwest to provide economic analysis and feasibility study regarding a new Inclusionary Zoning program and adoption of a Multifamily Tax Exemption (MFTE). Council discussed these issues on June 19, October 2 and December 4, 2018. On February 19, 2019 ECONorthwest presented a final report to City Council (see below). Council decided to continue consideration of adoption of an MFTE and/or an inclusionary zoning program and continued to make progress on these complex issues at their September 17, 2019 and February 4, 2020 meetings. This topic is currently scheduled to be discussed at a special joint City Council/Planning Commission meeting on June 22, 2020.
February 2019 Transfer of Development Rights and Inclusionary Zoning Assessment (ECONorthwest & Forterra)
Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) and Tiny Homes
City Council completed their policy discussion on common ownership of ADUs and tiny homes at their October 22, 2019 meeting. Those policy changes are integrated into Ordinance 2020-02. Planning Commission held a public hearing on Ordinance 2020-02 on January 9, 2020. At that meeting, the Planning Commission formed a temporary subcommittee to discuss proposed rules for ADUs.
The subcommittee submitted recommended changes to the ordinance at the February 13 Planning Commission meeting, including removing all references to tiny homes, and the Planning Commission as a whole directed staff to make the changes recommended by the subcommittee to Ordinance 2020-02. The Commission discussed and revised the ordinance again at a Study Session on February 27, 2020, and made additional non-substantive revisions to the ordinance. The Planning Commission held a public hearing on Ordinance 2020-02 on March 12, 2020, and after closing the public hearing, recommended approval of the ordinance to the City Council.
The Planning Commission recommendation of the approval for Ordinance 2020-02 will return to City Council for final discussion and approval. The City Council will discuss this ordinance on June 23, 2020.
- 2018 Affordable Housing Task Force Final Report with Appendices
- 2019 APA Planning for Equity Policy Guide
- 2019 Bremerton-Silverdale MSA HUD Median Income Limit (PDF)
- 2018 Bremerton-Silverdale MSA HUD Median Income Limit (PDF)
- 2017 Bremerton-Silverdale MSA HUD Median Income Limit (PDF)
- City Council Instructions to Affordable Housing Task Force (PDF)
- 2016 Comprehensive Plan (PDF)
- 2016 Comprehensive Plan Housing Element (PDF)
- Joe Tovar Memo to Planning Commission on Housing Element (PDF)
- 2016 Kitsap County Homelessness Report (PDF)
- AWC/MSRC Homelessness and Housing Toolkit (PDF)
- Puget Sound Regional Council Housing Innovations Program
- 2017 Housing Affordability Response Team Recommendations (PDF)
- Washington State Legislature RCW on Multifamily Property Tax Exemption MRSC Affordable Housing; Multifamily Property Tax Exemption
- Puget Sound Regional Council HIP Tool; Multifamily Tax Exemption
- Puget Sound Regional Council HIP Featured Tool Multifamily Tax Exemption (PDF)
- Community Housing Coalition Final Report (December 2007) (PDF)