Sustainable Transportation Planning Study
At their March 22nd Regular Business Meeting, the City Council adopted the Sustainable Transportation Plan and identified Scenario 2, “Connecting Centers” as the preferred implementation plan. In accordance with the Council’s direction, the staff will now develop a work plan of next steps for the Council’s review and direction.
See links below to view:
- Bainbridge Island Sustainable Transportation Plan – February 2022
- Sustainable Transportation Plan – Appendix A Working Documents
At their February 15, 2022, Study Session, the City Council received a presentation on the Sustainable Transportation Plan from City staff and consultants. The presentation summarized the two-year plan development process and recommends three scenarios for implementation. The Council enthusiastically supported the plan, which is proposed to be adopted at the March 8 Regular Business Meeting. The March 8 Business Meeting includes the opportunity for public comment at the beginning of the meeting, which will start at 6 PM and is scheduled to be held on Zoom.
The Council may also decide to recommend a preferred scenario - at the February 15 meeting, several Councilmembers expressed an interest in supporting scenario 2, which would focus investments on an all-ages-and-abilities network connecting the Island Centers.
Watch the Feb. 15 discussion.
In 2019, the City Council expressed support in providing a transportation system (streets, transit, trails, etc.) that improves mobility and safety for all users while respecting the character of neighborhoods and maintaining a climate resilient environment. The initiative, which became known as the Sustainable Transportation Plan, will establish the long-range vision for how we travel on the island. In addition, the Council determined that the Sustainable Transportation project should result in a transportation system that supports the overriding goal of the City’s upcoming Climate Action Plan: to reduce carbon emissions on Bainbridge Island by 90% by 2045.
Additional goals identified by the Council include:
- Present a unifying vision for the future of transportation on Bainbridge Island;
- Create a holistic, inclusive definition of sustainable mobility with suite of solutions;
- Integrate the island’s transportation and land use visions;
- Complete missing links and make first/last mile connections;
- Build a toolbox of facility types and solutions tailored to people of all ages and abilities and the island’s unique contexts; and
- Demonstrate transparent decision-making based on community values, with a clear link to implementation planning, investments, and subsequent funding requests.
|02/15/22||Study Session Update|
|01/19/21||Study Session Update|
|10/20/20||Study Session Update|
|10/06/20||Study Session Update|
|09/15/20||Study Session Update|
|09/01/20||Study Session Update|
|07/07/20||Study Session Update|
|06/02/20||Study Session Update|
|03/03/20||Study Session Update|
|02/25/20||Business Meeting Update - Community Engagement Plan|
|02/04/20||Study Session Update|
|01/16/20||City Council Meeting - PSA|
|11/19/19||Study Session Update|
|03/19/19||Study Session Update - RFQ|
09/10/2021 Task Force Meeting #9 - Virtual Meeting
° Joint Meeting with the Technical Advisory Team
08/20/2020 - Virtual Community Meeting
07/17/2020 - Task Force Meeting #2 Virtual Meeting
02/28/2020 - Task Force Meeting #1 - City Hall
- Final Vision Plan
- Appendix A Working Documents
- Best Practices Review Summary
- Community Engagement Plan
- Island-wide Mailer
- Community Outreach Summary
- Final Goals & Objectives
- Final Goals & Objectives Presentation
- Project, Program, and Policy Identification Memo
- Evaluation Framework Approach
- Evaluation Framework
- Transportation Infrastructure Presentation
Title VI Notification: The City of Bainbridge Island fully complies with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and related statues in all programs and activities. Those requiring disability accommodations, please contact the City Clerk at 206-842-2545, or email.
HOW TO STAY
Please encourage your
neighbors and fellow
commuters to sign up for
project notifications via
"Notify Me" to receive
Select "Sustainable Transportation Planning Study"
from the list.