Design Guidelines Update
Design Guidelines Update Public Meeting: Wednesday, May 22 6:30-8:00 pm @ City Hall Council Chamber
The City is hosting a public meeting focused on presenting draft recommendations and design guidelines for feedback from the public. The meeting will include a presentation from the City’s consultant, Framework, and boards with draft guidelines, recommendations, and opportunities for input. Draft guidelines have been developed based on an existing conditions assessment and input from the City’s Design Review Board, focus groups, and the first public meeting. The draft design guidelines will be revised and finalized based on input received.
The City of Bainbridge Island is updating its design guidelines. The purpose of the design guidelines is to produce higher-quality development that reflects the Island’s values and character.
The City's design guidelines are a method of guiding development and enhancing the quality of buildings, sites and the public realm. Some of the guidelines include: streetscape design, public space (plazas and courtyards), and building design (proximity to street, materials, roof appearance, etc.). The design guidelines are used by the Design Review Board to assess the merits of a project's design.
Objectives for the update include:
- Assess community preferences and appropriate aesthetic and design standards through public education and outreach efforts.
- Analyze the existing design guidelines and develop a recommended outline of reorganized and updated guidelines that serves the entire island community and individual commercial, mixed use, and neighborhood districts.
- Produce an adoptable set of new or updated design guidelines that will preserve and enhance the Island’s special character and ensure sustainability, and appropriateness for the community, neighborhoods, and the environment while allowing for variety and creativity.
- Maximize the effectiveness of the guidelines as a tool for encouraging better design while keeping the guidelines clear and easy to use by applicants, Design Review Board members, City staff, and the public.
- Identify ways to improve administration of the design guidelines.
Questions? Contact Christy Carr at 206.780.3719 or email@example.com
Sign up with the City’s Notify Me® for future design guidelines update notifications.