Critical Areas Ordinance Update
The Growth Management Hearings Board released its Final Decision and Order on October 30, 2018. The Board dismissed a Petition for Review filed by the Kitsap County Association of Realtors and other parties challenging the Critical Areas Ordinance update. You may read the entire decision here.
City Council passed Ordinance 2018-01 adopting the Critical Areas Ordinance update on February 27, 2018. The updated ordinance will take effect on April 23, 2018.
A frequently asked questions (FAQ) (PDF) document is available.
Background documents available for review include:
- Summary of Public Comments by Date (PDF)
- Summary of Public Comments by Topic (PDF)
- Proposed Changes to Draft CAO Based on Public Comments (PDF)
- Best Available Science Review (PDF)
- BAS Review Attachment A (PDF)
- BAS Review Attachment B (PDF)
Two summary sheets are available to provide a quick look at proposed changes in the critical areas ordinance:
Critical Areas Ordinance Summary Sheet (PDF) - Provides a high-level overview of proposed changes throughout the ordinance.
Native Vegetation Protection Area (PDF) - Answers the questions, "Where did the idea come from?" and "What is it and where does it apply?" about the new Native Vegetation Protection Area (NVPA) requirement in the critical aquifer recharge areas section (BIMC 16.20.100).
- City Council Revised Public Hearing Draft - January 30, 2018 (PDF)
- City Council Revised Public Hearing Draft - January 9, 2018 (PDF)
- City Council Revised Public Hearing Draft - November 14, 2017 (PDF)
- City Council Revised Public Hearing Draft - October 24, 2017 (PDF)
- City Council Public Hearing Draft - October 3, 2017 (PDF)
- Planning Commission Recommended Draft Ordinance (PDF)
Supporting information for the CAO update includes:
- Background, Scope of Work and Schedule (PDF)
- Critical Areas Ordinance Transmittal Memo to Council (PDF)
- Current CAO (PDF)
- Issues/Topics for Consideration (PDF)
- SEPA Environmental Checklist (PDF)
- SEPA Notice of Determination of Non-Significance (PDF)
Schedule & Opportunities for Public Input
Public participation is invited throughout the CAO update process. Check this page for updated project information, timelines, draft documents and meeting notices. You may also join an email listserv to receive timely project notifications: Notify Me
If you have questions or comments regarding this project please contact Senior City Planner Christy Carr via email or at 206-780-3719.